Thursday, July 3, 2008

Progress!

Wow! So after the things we will not speak of, it is so great to have started something Sunday and be just about done as of last night! My aunt requested a pair of mittens a long time ago, but said she would take them for her birthday, which was Monday but I'm seeing her tomorrow. I even remembered which yarn she wanted them in, which is amazing since I feel like my head is going in a million different directions. I cast on Sunday night after the shower craziness and last night I sewed up the first one! All I need to do for the second is sew that seam, too. I think the trick here was putting both of them on one circular needle so that I was working on them both at the same time. That way, they're both exactly the same length and knitted at the same gauge. Martha taught me that one. So, although one of them is still technically on the needle, here's the mittens!

As you can see, they look very warm, soft, and fuzzy. This is the same yarn that I knitted my first mitten EVER with, but I did a rolled cuff and didn't have enough for two whole mittens. I played with another option, a ribbed cuff, on a pair for myself and it worked out great, so that's what I went with here. I hope she likes them!



In other knitting news, poor poor Erm. I promised him SOCKS and I still haven't finished the first sock. Singular. He has said he'll be happy to have them by the time its cold out, which is probably a reasonable expectation. I'm making the Uptown Boot Socks from the Favorite Socks book and although I love the yarn, and love the pattern, I think because its the men's size and its taking so LONG that I'm getting bored. I've made some great progress, and I'm in the home stretch with the foot, but I feel like the more I do, the more I have left to do! Does that make sense? Anyway, here is the sock so far...

As you can see, I have way more done than the last pic I posted. By the way, these pics were taken with my phone since I left my camera at work (becoming a habit... leaving things at work...) which is why they aren't the greatest. So the part coming down to the right is the foot, in case you couldn't tell. And I'm holding it because otherwise it just doesn't look like a sock. What also makes me nervous is that I try it on from time to time and its very comfortable... on me. Even though I have big feet, his feet are still pretty big... I think that maybe I should have cast on more stitches? Knit looser? I hope they fit him!

I also hope that everyone has a safe and happy holiday weekend. Its supposed to rain in the morning tomorrow, but they keep saying that no day will be a washout... so cross your fingers! I have a nice weekend of relaxing ahead of me and I plan on enjoying every minute. Happy 4th!!!

THIS JUST IN: I just learned of some sad news... A few years ago, I had a rabbit, a Netherland Dwarf to be exact. She was grey, with a black face, black ears, and black feet. She almost looked Siamese. Her name was Bullet and she was the cutest little teeny rabbit. When I moved out of the house I lived in, I had nowhere for her, so instead of giving her to a shelter, my friend Leah offered to take her until we could find her a new home. 2 1/2 years later, Leah still had Bullet, until yesterday. I received a message that Bullet passed away yesterday, I'm not sure what from, but I hope it was quick and painless. She was a cute little bunny and she was in good hands. RIP Bullet. :(

1 comment:

Kelly said...

Awwww....RIP Bullet. :(

Your sock and mittens look great!!