Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Running to ... live? Eat? Stay sane?

So I haven't mentioned yet that I am a runner. It took awhile before I called myself a runner, as opposed to someone who runs, and yes I think there is a difference. I feel like I turned the corner after my first (and so far only...) 10K on Columbus Day. By the way, if you are a runner you should definitely run the Tufts Women's 10K in Boston, its always on Columbus Day. Its HUGE and totally got me into running more than 3 miles at a time! All women, very fun and as intense or relaxed as you want it to be. But I digress...

I love running, but its that love/hate relationship that the guy on that commercial talks about. You know, when he says "you have a love/hate relationship with running. Running gets you out of a warm bed in the morning... etc". But I do love it. However, I was a little disturbed when I recently answered an online survey about why I run. The options were a. to clear my mind b. to eat c. for my health d. (i can't remember the other ones). I clicked B - to eat, although its really for all three of those reasons. Well, I felt like a complete NON-runner when the results came up and only around 12% of people had clicked on that answer. Seriously? So am I running for the wrong reason? Or are all those other people not being completely honest with themselves? So, I thought about it, and its really all three...

a. To clear my mind: If you run, bike, swim, or do any kind of exercise, you know what I mean. After a crazy day I'll come home and look at my wonderful fiance and say "can't talk, I'm going for a run". I don't think he gets it, but he knows to just let me go. And when I come back and those endorphins are kicking, I am like a whole different, happier, person. I haven't had to run for this reason for a little while, but I do sometimes.

b. To eat: I have to be honest. I am getting married in January. I am in a wedding in October. That equals one wedding gown, one bridesmaid dress, two bachelorette parties, and one swimsuit season. And its summer, which means lots of barbeque and beer and sangria. And the Celtics are in the playoffs which means "game food" and beer. I like to eat and I like to run, nothing wrong with that, they go together nicely and balance each other out :) Its actually healthy.

c. For my health: This is probably the most important reason, and its starting to take over option B. My dad had a major heart attack in March, and thank God, he is back to healthy now. But since I was an overbearing daughter and went to all his cardiac rehab, followup appointments, etc that I could, I paid attention and noticed that along with NOT smoking, regular exercise is the best thing you can do for your heart. My dad is actually in pretty good shape to begin with, and I obviously knew that exercise is good for your heart, but hearing it from so many sources and seeing some of the people that were in rehab with my dad and how out of shape they were really sent the signal that what I do now will affect me in the future. So everyone please, watch what you eat and exercise regularly, even if its not running ;) Anything can happen at any time, and you want your body to be prepared to fight for you.

Its a beautiful day and we have a long weekend coming, get outside and go for a walk!!!

No comments: