Friday, January 29, 2010

A WIP and a conversation with my favorite non-knitter

For Christmas this year, my wonderful husband got me these, which I had asked him for months ago. He always pays attention and its always a pleasant surprise:

He has no idea what "frogged" or "ripped" means to a knitter, but he tries to use them in conversation with me. On Sunday, I was working on my sweater (see below) and we had this conversation:

M: You know what? I am SO excited that this sweater fits me so far.
E: Yep, otherwise you'd have to frog it.
M: Oh my God! You know what that means now!
E: Honey I don't really, I...
M: Do you know why they call it frogged? Because you rip something out and the noise is something like "rip-it, rip-it"... y'know, like "ribbit, ribbit", like a frog.
E: Ok, that's weird. So, when you frog something do you call it a lilly pad?
M: No, but that's a great idea. We say we send it to the frog pond.
E: Uh-huh
M: Just ripping a few rows is just called ripping. And when you just have to take some stitches out and you un-knit them, you call it "tink-ing", because "tink" is "knit" backwards, get it?
E: You lost me.

So I may end up calling frogged projects Lilly Pads now, because Erm made it up and its cute.

But I WON'T be frogging THIS:

Its the Textured Tunic with Side Buttons from Fitted Knits by Stefanie Japel. I love this pattern, I love this book, I love this yarn. I love everything about this sweater so far. I love that it FITS. After the Rusted Root incident, I learned that although its a pain to do, its a good idea to take things off the needles and try them on. It also gave me an idea of where to do my decreases for my waist, which I've done. Now I'm ready to increase for my hips. I can't wait to get this one done!!!! This picture here is closer to the true color. My apologies for those messy yarn baskets!

2 comments:

Sherando said...

His looks fantastic! Can't wait to see the FO--and such a cute story!

Pomegranategrl said...

Those glasses are AWESOME! Where did your hubby get them!?!?!?